Today being the first day of Magh Bihu, I tried to make some Ghila Pithas at home.Pithas are prepared during bihu in Assam.My mom used to prepare two varieties;Ghila Pitha and Til Pitha.And also she prepares more than hundreds in numbers.These are prepared with a special rice called Bora saul.The soaked rice is then grounded in a manual wooden mill called Dheki (A pic is attached for reference).
4. Grind the Jaggery and water to make a smooth paste. Usually people prefer to do it manually.
5. Now fold the rice flour into the Jaggery water. It should be little thicker than the cake consistency. Add fennel and baking powder to it.
I could not find this rice in Bangalore, hence landed up making with the normal one named Sona Masoori.
Recipe is adapted from my mom over the phone.
Makes 13-15 Pithas
Rice- 2 Cups
Jaggery (Grated)-2 Cups
Fennel/Saunf (Optional)-2 Tbs
Baking Powder- A Pinch
Mustard Oil-For Frying
1. Add Jaggery to little water and let it soak for some time. Similarly, soak rice in enough water for 5-6 hrs.
Note: I preferred to soak it overnight.
2. Drain the water from rice and grind it to make a smooth powder. The rice needs to be powder without using any water to it.
3. Sieve the rice flour.
6. Heat the wok and add oil to it.Now take a spoonful of the above batter and fry it in low heat.